Amending Articles

Which Articles can be amended?

The Articles of Incorporation can be amended by filing a legal document called the "Articles of Amendment". 

Depending on the jurisdiction of the corporation, federal or provincial, the process to amend the Articles of Incorporation may vary. Some usual changes made to the Articles of Incorporation include the following:

  • change of corporate name 
  • change of the registered office address 
  • change of the number of directors of a corporation 
  • addition of a new class of shares 
  • change of the rights, privileges, restrictions, and conditions attached to an existing class of shares
  • change or elimination of restrictions regarding the transfer of shares 
  • elevate any provision of the by-laws as being part of the Articles of Incorporation 

Before filing the Articles of Amendment the corporation must obtain its shareholders' approval, obtained by special resolution.

Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.